Monday, March 29, 2010

SMS Software Distribution Error - Hash does not match expected

Recently I was trying to push out an application to our remote distribution points for an upcoming upgrade and I thought everything had replicated properly. Distribution manager came back clean saying that the package was copied successfully to all sites. However when I went to deploy the application to our pilot users at these sites a number of them failed with the following error:


Program failed (download failed – content mismatch).

All of the failed workstations were located in one of three remote sites. I came across an article (http://www.myitforum.com/articles/8/view.asp?id=8739) outlining this problem and the symptoms of a hash mismatch. Sure enough when I checked my CAS.log file on the problem workstations they were full of the following hash mismatch errors:

Hash does not match expected 2951DEF9FD9AE6331DDF547AA70454EA75D395D1, actual 8838D728ED3E90D462D4CE3189841BCEBE8C369C

To resolve this issue I removed the problem package from all three of the distribution points, confirmed the removal, and then copied the application back to the distribution points. I was then able to re-run the advertisement on the problem workstations and they upgraded as expected.

On another note if you haven’t visited myITforum.com lately they have recently upgraded their server hardware and the performance increase is quite noticeable. Good job guys – I would be lost without your site.